- Full Sun
- Chalk, Clay, Loam, Sand tolerant
- pH acid, neutral or alkaline
- Moist but well-drained, Well-drained
- Hardy through most of the UK (-10 to -5)
- RHS Rating H4
- Direct soil planting
- Great in borders
- Easy to grow
- Pollinator friendly
Human & pets interaction
- Harmful if eaten
Ligustrum ovalifolium – 3 litre pot
Otter Price: £9.99
Ligustrum ovalifolium is a robust and fast-growing shrub with a vigorous nature, displaying an upright form and glossy green foliage. Its oval-shaped leaves contribute to its lush and bushy appearance. While often utilised as a popular choice for ‘privet’ hedging, if left unpruned, this versatile shrub can develop into a charming, shaggy tree. Ligustrum ovalifolium produces small, fragrant white flowers that emerge in pointed clusters during June and July. These delightful blooms serve as a magnet for buzzing bees. As the seasons transition into autumn, this shrub produces round black berries for the wildlife.
– Avoid planting directly in the frozen soil.
– Container planting is possible throughout the year; use containers that are large and deep enough to prevent roots from freezing in the winter, and ensure there are drainage holes in the bottom of the container. Planting in small containers will lead to plants becoming rootbound.
– Water well after planting. Water well in dry weather. Avoid waterlogged conditions in winter.
– To maintain the plant’s appearance, remove faded flowers by cutting the stem to a strong leaf without leaving it sticking out of the foliage.
– In the spring, remove the dead and damaged leaves from the foliage.
– Feed weekly when the plant is in flowering season.
– Lightly prune hedges twice in summer to maintain dense growth and prevent pests and diseases.
Click for information