- Deciduous perennial
- Late Spring to early Autumn
- Partial Shade
- PH Acid or Neutral
- Moist but well drained
- RHS Rating H7
- Direct soil planting
- Large containers
- Great in borders
- Easy to grow
- Pollinator friendly
Human & pets interaction
- No known effects
Hosta ‘First Frost’ – 3 litre pot
Otter Price: £9.99
Hosta ‘First Frost’ is a clump-forming perennial and has blue-green leaves with gold borders. This variety is very robust and can hold up well until the first frosts. Hostas are shade-tolerant foliage plants that are native to northeast Asia. They are perfect for ground cover and are highly regarded for their interesting colours and textures. Hostas are also perfect for planting near water, or under trees and shrubs.
– For best results, plant in the spring when the soil is no longer frozen. Plant in part shade or shade position to avoid scorching.
– Keeping the plants in a container is possible; use large and deep containers to prevent roots from freezing during winter. Ensure the containers have drainage holes in the bottom, as planting in small containers can lead to root-bound plants.
– To keep the plants looking fresh, divide the clumps every 2 to 3 years.
– Adequate watering is essential after planting, and the soil should be kept consistently moist to ensure the plant establishes well.
– To maintain the plant’s appearance, remove faded flowers and damaged leaves by cutting.
– In late autumn or early winter, clean off the dead foliage to the ground level to prevent overwintering diseases.
Click for information