Please take time to read the FAQ’s below before you visit our coffee shops.
What might have changed since my last visit?
All our coffee shops are temporarily closed.
What are the opening times?
All our coffee shops are temporarily closed.
Do I need to book?
We are not operating a booking system at this time and are not able to take any bookings.
Will you have your usual delicious home-cooked cakes and meals?
We are offering our regular hot drinks options, with a selection of cold drinks to choose from.
At some of our garden centres we are only able to offer a limited range of cakes and meals.
We are pleased to confirm that both the Otter traditional cream tea and savoury cream tea are available to order in all our branches.
All meals are prepared in our kitchens where the requirement for 2m social distancing means we are operating with a smaller number of kitchen team members. So, although we’d love to offer a full menu, this may not be possible in all our garden centres.
When you arrive the choice of menu will be available for that day.
Our food menu will vary from branch to branch. The menu will include a range of cakes, sandwiches, paninis, breakfast items and hot meals at lunchtime. Last orders for hot meals may vary at each branch. Please check your local garden centre by clicking here. Cakes and drinks are available throughout the day.
What safety measures will you have in place?
The safety of our customers and team members is our top priority. We are adhering to the latest government safety guidelines whilst aiming to offer that wonderful Otter experience we know you love.
This means that your visit will feel somewhat different.
- We are continuing with a 2m social distancing rule across all our garden centre departments including our coffees shops and expect all our customers to respect and adhere to this.
- The number of customers in our coffee shops is limited.
- We encourage all customers to wash their hands prior to arrival. Hand sanitiser is available for all customers at the entrance and exit to our coffee shops.
- All our team members have undertaken safety training in advance of opening and will be wearing PPE.
- Strict hygiene protocols are in place including full cleaning and sanitising of tables and chairs between customers.
Do I need to wear a face covering?
On arrival, customers are required to approach the tills to order and pay for their food and drink, this may involve queuing if we are busy. We politely ask that all customers wear a face covering inside our coffee shops until they reach their table, where it can be removed to eat and drink. When you leave your table to exit the coffee shop we ask that face coverings are put back on. We thank all customers for their understanding and co-operation.
What will happen when I arrive?
- You may find the entrance to the coffee shops has changed, please look out for signs when you arrive or ask any of our team members.
- To help ensure the safety of all our customers, at our Ottery St Mary garden centre the entrance is no longer through the shop. The entrance to our coffee shop at Ottery St Mary is now located via a new signposted entrance. Please ask a team member if you need any help when you arrive.
- The numbers of people who can sit in our coffee shops has been reduced to ensure we can sit all customers safely with tables spaced well apart.
- QUEUING SYSTEM
- As we now have less tables, during busy periods you might have to wait until we have a table available. This may require you to queue when you arrive to wait for a table.
- Please be aware that at some of our garden centres you may need to queue outside where there is no covering.
- When you arrive you will be asked to go directly to the till points to order. You will see screens have been put into place to ensure you can safely order and pay for your drinks with minimal contact with our team members.
- Condiments will be offered to you when you order.
- For food orders, once your order has been placed, you can sit back and relax as a member of our team safely prepares your food. Once it is ready, your food will be brought to your table.
- With all of these changes in place, if your meal takes a little longer than normal please be patient with us. Our team are be doing our upmost to adapt to this new way of working, whilst keeping everyone safe.
Test & Trace
Test and Trace QR codes are on display at our garden centres, please scan the code on arrival or provide our till operator with your contact details, in line with the latest NHS Test and Trace guidelines. If we take your contact details, this data will be held securely for 21 days and will not be used for any other purpose. The NHS Test and Trace program is a key part of the country’s ongoing COVID-19 response. If the NHS can rapidly detect people who have recently come into close contact with a new COVID-19 case, swift action can be taken to minimise transmission of the virus. You can read further information on how NHS Test and Trace works by clicking here.
How will I pay for my food and drink order?
- We can only accept payment by card or contactless payment in our coffee shops, we are very sorry that we are not able to accept cash.
Will the seating be different?
- From December 2nd there is a change due to the new Tier system. We will be allowing a maximum of 6 people to sit together at one table, all 6 persons must be from the same household or support bubble.
- You will notice a reduced number of tables as all tables are now spaced out to allow for social distancing of 2m.
- You may also find a one-way system in place to reach your table. We ask all customers to follow any signs.
- Children are allowed into our coffee shops; however, they must be supervised and stay at the table at all times.
- We are happy for buggies to be brought into the coffee shops where space allows. As highchairs are difficult to completely sanitise between customers we prefer for children to remain in buggies. If you require a highchair please speak to one of our team members when you arrive who can provide a highchair (subject to availability) and can also offer cleaning materials for you to use before placing your child in our highchairs.
- OUTDOOR SEATING
- Outdoor seating is not available during the winter in any of our Garden Centres, so is not open at this time.
- During Summer months only – we have outdoor seating in Ottery St Mary, Wincanton, Jack’s Patch, Torbay and Taunton Garden Centres. Please note that due to the requirement to keep our tables spaced apart the number of outside tables may be limited. If you choose to sit outside, please be aware that if we are full inside you will be unable to move inside if the weather deteriorates, or it starts to rain, for example.
How long can I stay?
At this time, we will not be placing a time limit on your stay. However please be mindful of the fact that others might be queuing for a table. Once you have finished your food/drinks, we kindly ask that you make your way back into store to continue with your shopping or your day.
Will water be available?
If required, please ask the till operator for a water when ordering.
Will the toilets be open?
Our toilets are open, although we ask you to only use these if essential. Please note that our toilet facilities are not all located close to our coffee shops and may involve a walk outside. If the toilet facilities are busy you may need to queue.
Can I order food or drink for takeaway?
- Drinks and cakes can be ordered for takeaway. Not all meals will be available for takeaway, please ask the till operator or one of our team members for more information.
- If you choose takeaway please note you will not be able to consume the food or drink in the garden centre premises.
Can I visit the shop after visiting the coffee shop?
We encourage all our customers to extend your visit by browsing our garden centre. Please note that according to government guidelines when you enter the retail area, you will be asked to shop alone where possible, or with 2 people per group. Face coverings are compulsory throughout our garden centres, and must be worn in our retail shopping areas. Our 2m social distancing rule applies throughout our garden centre, including the retail area and our car parks. To read the Covid-19 guidelines for shopping safely at all Otter Garden Centres please CLICK HERE.
If you have any other questions regarding your visit to our coffee shops, please contact us by sending us a message, or calling us, contact details can be found by clicking here.
If you have any concerns during your visit please don’t hesitate to ask to speak to a team member. We want to make your visit both enjoyable and safe.
The guidance above is subject to change, to review this page for any changes prior to any visit you make to us, thank you.