In these days of ‘instant’ everything, giving a Christmas gift that you have had a hand in making will make your gift all the more appreciated – and what could be nicer than a plant display.
This is a relatively easy gift to make for a family member or friend who loves gardening and plants. At this time of year when the garden can be a bit dull, adding a pot of colour can really lift a patio or front door area. It will last a long time, too, with just a little TLC.
Easy steps to your plant display
1. Choose the container; this could be a traditional pot, or you could select a trough or a quirky container. Obviously, the size of the container will impact on the number of plants you need. Bear this in mind when you make your choice, as you want the container to be packed with colour, so sometimes smaller is better!
2. Secondly, choose the plants, a mixture of colour and evergreen. Choose from:
- Monterey Cypress Goldcrest
3. Add crocks to the bottom of the container. This helps to improve drainage and will keep the display looking lovely for longer.
4. Use a good multipurpose compost. We recommend John Innes but there are other good varieties too. Fill the container leaving space for the plants. Make sure you break up any lumps in the compost.
5. Add your plants, teasing out any roots before you put them in their final position. Put them closely together and fill in any gaps with more compost.
6. Use some Christmas accessories to give a final touch, make it as glitzy or as subtle as you like.
For further inspiration, watch our video on YouTube Christmas Planter
And of course, if you don’t have the time to make a plant display yourself, we have a variety of ready-made containers that make an equally lovely gift.